Friday, August 20, 2010

Is it customary to add new spouse to house deed after marriage?

I have a house in my own name and my fiancee wants her name to be added to the deed right after we get married. Is it customary to add a spouse to the house deed after marriage, and if so how long after the wedding?Is it customary to add new spouse to house deed after marriage?
Much like prenuptial agreements, marital assets can be a tricky conversation. I would consider making a compromise- in the event that you are happily married after 5 years, you will agree to reopen a discussion for adding her to the deed. If she owned a house with significant equity, would she be so willing to put it at risk on a new marriage?Is it customary to add new spouse to house deed after marriage?
See a lawyer about how marriage affects issues with home ownership. I recommend this to all couples who have property. Find out how marriage affects your ownership. In some cases, putting a property into trust may be a wise choice.





In my state, whether her name is on the deed or not, she automatically has a 50% ownership in the primary marital home. That is the law. However, if only your name is on the deed and you die leaving a substantial mortgage and she can't afford to pay the mortgage and can't sell the home, she can let the bank have the house and it will not affect her credit rating. However, for most people, banks require a life insurance policy to pay off the mortgage now, so I don't really see a benefit to this thinking.





My guy's home is paid for. He will be adding me to the deed in January (we plan to marry this year). The county courthouse says it's only a $5 fee to change my name to married name after we are married.
If you mean to ask if it's a legal requirement, it depends on what state you live in. In some states, you don't have to add the spouse for the spouse to have a property interest if you are married. In other states, you do.





If you're asking whether she'll be pissed if you don't add her, I think it's safe to assume that it would be customary for your new wife to get mad and distrustful... especially for someone who asks prior to marriage.
No, it is not. If your fiancee insist, then you and her go to the mortgage company, resign the papers as a married couple then put her name on the deed. You do not get something for nothing any where I have been.





BTW, if you are serious, you had better get a pre-nup and have her sign that. Something smells here and it is not the fish.
You should do what you feel is right. My DH have been married a year and a half and I am not on the deed to our home and I dont care that Im not....we have plenty of trust and therefore it doesnt matter to me whos name is on what.
no, it is not customary. It is not a marital asset if you marry either.
No, It's your house not hers. Everything you buy after theis is half hers.





BEWARE She is already gold digging!!!
THAT'S UP TO YOU. I WOULDN'T BECAUSE I'VE SEEN TOO MANY PEOPLE WORK HARD FOR SOMETHING, GET MARRIED AND THAT PERSON WALK OFF FROM IT. BUT IT'S TOTALLY UP TO YOU.
It will complicate things if you get a divorce !!





Don't worry about it for now !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment