Friday, August 20, 2010

How do I go about getting a copy of a marriage license from Japan?

My parents were married in Japan over 60 years ago. My dad recently passed away. My mom went to the social security office regarding his death and they said they need a copy of the marriage license! How do we get one, and from where?How do I go about getting a copy of a marriage license from Japan?
I'd start with the State Department in Washington DC.How do I go about getting a copy of a marriage license from Japan?
Assuming that they are immigrants, check their immigration paperwork and see if it lists their marital status. The SSA may accept that as proof.





Your Mom may be able to speak with the records custodian in the Prefecture where they were married. You should be able to track that down fairly easily if she's still fluent in Japanese.





Lacking that, you may need to contact a bi-lingual attorney in Japan to research it. Records are maintained by the Prefecture where they were married and a local attorney there could get a copy easily. Keep in mind that you will need to get a certified translation of the license. The attorney may be able to help with that as well.





The US Embassy in Tokyo can provide lists of attorneys in each Prefecture. Here's a link that I Googled in 10 seconds: http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-71鈥?/a> They can also assist with translation services as well.
I think asking the State Department (which US Emabssies are part of) is only going to result in you being told what I am about to tell you:





If you want records of the government of Japan, then ask the Japanese government.





I suggest contacting the local consulate of Japan or Embassy. Consult their web pages, or do some active googling or both - this is probably a FAQ for them.





gambatte!
  • product key
  • hair pieces
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment