Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What accreditation does it take to become a family/marriage counselor?

Member since: March 28, 2006


Total points: 562 (Level 2)


Points earned this week:


--% Best answer





lilmissy


S What accreditation to become a family/marriage counselor?


I want to become a family/marriage counselor. I'm working on a bachelor of psychology now. I don't have the time to become a licensed psychologist, I just want to work with hurting children and families.


I've heard some people say it takes hours (approx. 2000) of clinical work before you can become licensed.


How is it then that pastors have clergy licenses and are able to counsel people.


I'm wondering if it would be easier to get a theology degree and counsel through a church.


Any suggestions?What accreditation does it take to become a family/marriage counselor?
Here are some links to get basic info on family/marriage counseling. I could be mistaken, but this field seems to require an MA or PhD





Marriage %26amp; Family Counseling


http://www.allpsychologyschools.com/faqs鈥?/a>





A Career as a Marriage and Family Therapist


http://www.aamft.org/resources/Career_Pr鈥?/a>





I am not familiar with the details of counseling through religious organizations and personnel. If you have a career counseling center on campus, that might be a good place to start.





I hope this helps. Good luck.What accreditation does it take to become a family/marriage counselor?
see APA site.

No comments:

Post a Comment