Friday, August 20, 2010

How do you draw marriage lines on a family tree when two siblings married two siblings in the same family?

I mean, my dad and his brother married my mom and my aunt (who are also sisters). How do I draw the marriage lines for that? Does anyone have an example? I just can't find a way to do it without crossing the lines together...How do you draw marriage lines on a family tree when two siblings married two siblings in the same family?
This is the only way I can think to do it:





http://i50.tinypic.com/2ng5umq.jpgHow do you draw marriage lines on a family tree when two siblings married two siblings in the same family?
See figures 40 %26amp; 41--about halfway down the page--at http://www.genetic-genealogy.co.uk/Toc11鈥?/a>





As in my grandmother's family, brothers %26amp; sisters of one family who marry brothers %26amp; sisters of another family create the term ';double first cousins'; for their children. This is because they share all the same grandparents.
I'm in agreeance with the others that Ashley gives the clearest example to best show this unique relationship.


I too have this situation with my brother and my sister marrying a sister and brother of the same family


However, when doing a family chart (on PAF or FTM) you can only show the perspective of one family (with the spouse listed) or one couple, but not both sets.
Hmm, all the time I spent studying kinship and this scenario never even occurred to me. I suppose you would probably just need to label them appropriately. For example, instead of labeling your uncle as your mother's sister's husband (MZH), you should label him as your father's brother (FB) and then not include him on your father's side of the kinship chart (or vice versa for your aunt). An interesting question indeed. I hope this helps.
Ashley's answer is brilliant, clear and simple. She deserves the 10 points.





We don't usually draw family trees, though. We enter our data into a genealogy program and let it print pedigree charts, descendnacy lists or family group sheets.
You can develop your Family tree in exciting way. below site provide some exclusive features can help to u develop good family tree.
I have this in my ancestry.com tree, but you can only view a pedigree chart for one person so you would not see them both in the same chart (I think).
Good job Ashley. That drawing really simplified what could have been a complex relationship to try to diagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment