Friday, August 20, 2010

How can I obtain marriage records for free off the internet?

Every site I have found makes me pay and Ijust want to view a few public marriage records. Do I have to go to my local court house? I want to see records for VA. Any suggestions?How can I obtain marriage records for free off the internet?
West Virginia has them, for selected counties and years. Illinois does too. Virginia doesn't, as far as I know.





';Public'; means the public can view them, subject to rules on privacy and, sometimes, if they pay a fee. Sealed adoption records, by contrast, are not public. ';Public'; doesn't mean they are free, or that a county clerk has to spend tax money to put them on the Internet.





If you have the dates and want the maiden names, you might find them in the vital statistics section or the Women's pages in old newspapers on microfilm, at the library.





If the town was small enough or the couple well-known enough to rate one, the wedding story is a gold mine; ';The groom's brother Ralph, currently a Junior at State U, acted as best man. The bride's mother, the former Miss Irene Simpson, wore a light blue. . .';How can I obtain marriage records for free off the internet?
You could check and see if the county has a website that has them, but I have found that most counties do not have the manpower to go through 200+ years of records and upload them to the internet. Most depend on volunteers that come in and do it, so not all counties would have records on line, and the ones that are there may not be complete. The quickest and probably easiest way would be to go to the court house if you live nearby. You could also try the USGenWeb and go to the state, then the county you are interested in.
I don't think it's possible to get free marriage records off the internet.... unless you know someone who has access to ancestry.com (US records) and the marriage record is old enough to be on there. You can browse ancestry.com for free to see if the record is there. Otherwise, yes you'd have to go to the local court house or wherever the records are kept.
Sometimes they are on ancestry.com, depends. If you put names and dates on here someone would probably look to see. I found one of my daughters there and that was only 27 years ago.





Perhaps one of the geneologist on here has email and you could find out that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment